Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Tacticaltrim Community. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Sonntag, 5. Oktober 2014, 08:56

Some beginner questions

Hi everybody,

I want to make an order in the shop but still have Some questions.
1 what kind of thread should i use for a riggers belt ? My machine can take à nr 20 Needle
2 what kind of thread for making pouches?
3 is the polyamide webbing suitable for à gun sling?
4 is the polyamide webbing what i must use for molle on pouches?

That's all for now

Thanks

Sonntag, 5. Oktober 2014, 09:32

Good morning!

Hi everybody,

I want to make an order in the shop but still have Some questions.

Let's see what we can do for you:

Zitat

1 what kind of thread should i use for a riggers belt ? My machine can take à nr 20 Needle

You should use Gütermann Tera 40 thread. I really recommend that you don't select the thread according to the needle you have but according to what you are going to sew.

Zitat

2 what kind of thread for making pouches?

The same.

Zitat

Could you provide a link to the webbing you mean?

Zitat

4 is the polyamide webbing what i must use for molle on pouches?

For MOLLE webbing you want to use this here in width 25 mm (or its relatives in camouflage patterns).

When more questions come up - feel free to ask!

Regards,
Green Ant
Individual Outdoor and Tactical Equipment
fb.com/GreenAntEquipment

Sonntag, 5. Oktober 2014, 11:10

Thanks green ant,

De webbing you linked to is what i meant to use for pals on the pouches, could i use the same type of webbing to make a 2 point sling ?

Can i use the tera 40 in a household machine too? I have a 20year old singer machine, for the lighter work. And a walkingfoot leather machine for the heavier work but that one is hand operated, so i would try to make as much as possible on the household machine.

Which size needle do i use with the tera 40 ?

Thanks a lot for the help

Sonntag, 5. Oktober 2014, 22:01

Hi,

De webbing you linked to is what i meant to use for pals on the pouches, could i use the same type of webbing to make a 2 point sling ?

Haven't made a two-point-sling yet. Hope someone else can tell you. @Mike? You copy?

Zitat

Can i use the tera 40 in a household machine too?

In fact I do in my Brother innov-is 10a. However there have been cases documented in this forum, where for some reason it did not work. You may want to google that in "traditional" sewing forums on the internet. Usually you will find someone who has asked and/or tried before. At least in the German speaking community there do exist some forums which do help in this regard. Have you searched for the exact Singer model you have in this forum? Maybe you'll find someone who has the same machine?

Zitat

I have a 20year old singer machine, for the lighter work. And a walkingfoot leather machine for the heavier work but that one is hand operated, so i would try to make as much as possible on the household machine.

I think you should google the exact model. However if you have a heavy machine, you should already have some thick thread which you could try before you buy the Gütermann Tera 40. What about trying what you already have?

Zitat

Which size needle do i use with the tera 40 ?

I use Schmetz 130/705 H-J 110/18 with the Gütermann Tera 40.

Regards,
Green Ant
fb.com/GreenAntEquipment

Freitag, 17. Oktober 2014, 20:50

Hi again.

i am almost ready to start my first project, a riggers belt.
you said to use the Tera 40 will that be really strong enough to safely use the riggers belt ( in case of emergency)
not tha i question your knowledge. I just like to verify things and get multiple opinions just to be sure.
But when i read on the american forums, they always talk about thread sizes in numbers. I hear that they use a #69 or a #90 thread.
where can i find out what that means? also i'm a bit lost on needle sizes, i just thought it was number 16, 17, 18 ... and when you say 130/705 H-J 110/18
what does that mean? does every company has it's own way of sizing ?

Now for the construction part, i was thinking of stitching 5 lines in the length of the belt ( spaced evenly) with additional stitches after the buckle and after the v- ring. do you think that is strong enough in combination with the tera 40 ?

sorry for all the newbie questions, i know how to shorten pants and stuff like that with a normal machine, but never did any tactical sewing, and i just want my stuff to be very VEEEEEERY strong, certainly if i want to make thiings for other people afterwards

Freitag, 17. Oktober 2014, 23:25

Good evening,

i am almost ready to start my first project, a riggers belt. You said to use the Tera 40 will that be really strong enough to safely use the riggers belt (in case of emergency). Not that I question your knowledge. I just like to verify things and get multiple opinions just to be sure.

That's absolutely ok.

Zitat

But when i read on the american forums, they always talk about thread sizes in numbers. I hear that they use a #69 or a #90 thread. Where can i find out what that means?

I don't know. Looks like they have a different system for measuring thread sizes. Maybe you can ask them if they have a clue how that would translate to the German sizing?

Zitat

Also i'm a bit lost on needle sizes, i just thought it was number 16, 17, 18 ... and when you say 130/705 H-J 110/18 what does that mean? does every company has it's own way of sizing?

The size is at least standardized for home sewing machines. With the size I gave you you will be able to a) work with your home sewing machine and b) work with a Gütermann Tera 40 thread. That's the reason I gave it to you.

As to the question whether a Gütermann Tera 40 is ok for sewing a rigger's belt. The answer is: In principle, it definitely is. See this movie by forum member SR Tactical.

Of course you need to sew it correctly. If you just sew one seam with a 5 mm step length, it will probably not be enough. If you sew properly it will be ok.

Zitat

Now for the construction part, i was thinking of stitching 5 lines in the length of the belt ( spaced evenly) with additional stitches after the buckle and after the v- ring. do you think that is strong enough in combination with the tera 40 ?

I'll beware of telling you how you can sew your rigger's belt because I don't want to be held liable if it fails. You need to ask yourself if you really are up to the task of sewing yourself a device you will be willing to trust your life into. If you are, keep sewing until you have reached the feeling "this is definitely more than enough". Make use of locks, lock your seams properly, select a stitch length which is appropriate for the material type, layers and thickness. Look at photos of rigger's belts on the internet to get a feeling for how these things are sewn.

Zitat

sorry for all the newbie questions, i know how to shorten pants and stuff like that with a normal machine, but never did any tactical sewing, and i just want my stuff to be very VEEEEEERY strong, certainly if i want to make thiings for other people afterwards

If you are thinking about sewing rigger's belts for other people please consider carefully which liability consequences you are willing to take. For the rest of your life.

Regards,
Green Ant
fb.com/GreenAntEquipment

Samstag, 18. Oktober 2014, 07:05

Thanks,

Of course i would not sell it and say, it's ok to go rock climbing with it. I will always say that it's not foreseen, The reason i ask is because in our teams we use a system called drag-tac. It's like a piece of 2 meter webbing, witch attaches to the v-ring, and the other end can be hooked to a chest rig/ plate carrier to drag a wounded person to safety while you still have your arms free to shoot. (explenation simplified) I just want it to be strong enough.
I have been looking a lot at other belts lately. Mine is the cobra riggers belt from soe gear, I would built it almost like that, except that they zig-zag the stitches over the entire length. ( i guess because it looks nicer) i would make mine with straight stitching, but as much or even more stitching.

Are there any official tests for a riggers belt ?

Thank you for your time and patience.
And thank you for mentioning the liability issues, i already thought of that and that's why i asked. but it's good that you mentioned it in case another newbie who isn't that clever would read this and would want to start sewing riggers belts himself

Samstag, 18. Oktober 2014, 23:19

hi, for the sling you could use the same like for the poutches or even the 38mm/1.5inch for more comfort ;)
if you need something more robust use the mil-spec class1a stuff. there is also some tubular webbing for bungee slings

Sonntag, 19. Oktober 2014, 09:20

Thanks.

Will the 1.5" pass in the HK hook ?
I want to make an improved version of the sling that we get in the army
Its not a bungee sling but a 2 point
I do however want to make a bungee single point. But i don't know what to use for bungee
Should i use shockcord ?
Then how do i sew that? I saw there was a post in german about it. But i could not
Understand it very well

Sonntag, 19. Oktober 2014, 11:42

My English is´nt the best so I hope you understand what I mean.
Will the 1.5" pass in the HK hook ?

No,there are some other hooks will fit, or you use a webbing reducer and a short piece of 1inch webbing.
I do however want to make a bungee single point. But i don't know what to use for bungee

Should i use shockcord ?

Then how do i sew that? I saw there was a post in german about it. But i could not

Understand it very well

you could use it. But in the post they say ist a little bit difficuld. You have to high up the tention of the upper tread.

Finally one stupid question: in wich army you mean? :huh:

I hope I could help you

Sonntag, 19. Oktober 2014, 12:14

Any suggestions on other things that can be used for bungee?
I'm in the belgian army ;-)

Sonntag, 19. Oktober 2014, 12:47

Any suggestions on other things that can be used for bungee?

Probably you could use the elastig webbing but I´m not sure if that will work fine

Beruf: Schüler

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 19. Oktober 2014, 13:12

Hi Stimpy,

I sewed a One-Point sling some time ago and I bought BOTH the elastic webbing and some of the 3/18 Shockcord.

1. problem: The webbing was too wide, so I didn't fit properly into the other webbing.
2. problem: the 3/18 Shockcord was kinda sturdy, I'd propose you get the other one and use around 4 strings.

Greetings and good luck,

Chris

Sonntag, 19. Oktober 2014, 14:22

Thanks